Friday, February 24, 2012
Barotseland Restoration deal rejected...It will open a Pandora’s Box, says President Sata
THE Rodger Chongwe commission of inquiry on Barotseland has recommended the restoration of the Barotseland Agreement of 1964, but President Sata has rejected the proposal, saying it would “open a Pandora’s box.” The commission has further recommended that deputy speaker of the National Assembly Mkhondo Lungu, who was minister of Home Affairs at the time of the disturbances, be removed from his position “for inciting the police to use violence against the people of Western Province.” The commission has also recommended investigations into the role former Vice-President George Kunda and former Inspector-General of Police Francis Kabonde played when 19 people in Mongu were killed in skirmishes last year. Dr Chongwe said a team of experts be constituted to establish the role played by various leaders, both serving and former, who may be charged with criminal offences.
at 10:15 AM